Friday, February 6, 2009

To Market (sweet Betsy from Pike)

To market to market, went my brother Jim, When somebody threw a tomato at him. Now tomatoes are soft, and they don't bruise the skin, But this one killed Jim, it was wrapped in a tin.

Now Mary the milkmaid was milking the cow, The trouble with Mary, she didn't know how. Along came the farmer and gave her the sack, So she turned the cow over and poured the milk back.

I called on my girlfriend, her name was Miss Brown, She was having a bath and she couldn't come down, I said, "Slip on something, you'd better be quick." She slipped on the soap, and oh my was she quick.

I looked out my window too early one morn, And there was a tramp, he was chompin' the lawn. I said, "My young man, if you feel like a snack, The grass is much longer around at the back."

3 comments:

  1. It's great to come apron some of these old camp fire songs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sang this today in English class (English as a foreign language) and some of the class wondered where it came from and if the melody was on youtube. I remember singing it with my aunt and cousin as a child, but I didn't know the tramp verse or the one in the bath. Thanks. We'll be singing those verses next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remembered this old song.great memories

    ReplyDelete